The Boko Haram Insurgency and Regional Security in the Lake Chad Basin: Understanding the Growth and Development Consequences
- 62 Downloads
This chapter explores the Boko Haram insurgency, the emerging counterinsurgency security architecture in the Lake Chad Basin (LCB), and their overall consequences for growth and development in the LCB states. The chapter argues that despite a plethora of research on resurging threats of violent terrorism and the media’s portrayal of Boko Haram jihadism in the Lake Chad region, little is known of the newly envisioned regional security architecture, including its operational cost as well as the consequences of the insurgency and counterinsurgency campaign for growth and development in the light of the Africa rising debate.
This chapter draws from Prof Usman Tar’s Paper for Workshop on Security Force Assistance, jointly hosted by the Kofi Anan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC) and the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) held at Best Western Hotel Accra on 3–5 September 2019. Prof Tar is grateful to Dr Øystein H. Rolandsen and Nic Marsh of PRIO for their constructive input to the workshop paper.
- Abubakar, D. 2017. From Sectarianism to Terrorism in Northern Nigeria: A Closer Look at Boko Haram. In Violent Non-State Actors in Africa: Terrorists, ed. C. Varin and A. Dauda, 17–47. Rebels and Warlords: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- ADRA. 2018. Food Security & Livelihood Assessment Report North-East Nigeria, 30th April. Adventist Development and Relief Agency International (ADRA). https://reliefweb.int/report/nigeria/food-security-livelihood-assessment-report-north-east-nigeria-april-2018. Accessed on 23 March 2020.
- Agbor, T.I., and L.F. Abdullahi. 2017. Taming the Monster: Boko Haram. In Global Terrorism: The Nigerian Experience in Taming Boko Haram, ed. M. Mohammed and L.F. Abdullahi, 172–187. Headquarters Nigerian Army: Abuja.Google Scholar
- Apenda, I.T., and B.T. Tough. 2015. Terrorism and Boko Haram: Reconsideration of Impacts on World Peace. International Affairs and Global Strategy 37: 97–103.Google Scholar
- Comolli, V. 2017. The Evolution and Impact of Boko Haram in the Lake Chad Basin. https://odihpn.org/magazine/the-evolution-and-impact-of-boko-haram-in-the-lake-chad-basin/. Accessed on 23 March 2020.
- Dami, A., F.A. Adesina, and N.O. Adeoye. 2010. The Impact of Drought and Desertification in the Lake Chad Basin Region. Journal of Environmental Issues and Agriculture in Developing Countries 2 (2–3): 92–102.Google Scholar
- Didymus, J.H. 2014. Boko Haram Crisis and the Regional Geopolitics of Oil. http://ends.ng/boko-haram-crisis-and-the-regional-geopolitics-of-oil-part-1-by-john-thomas-didymus/. Accessed on 23 February 2020.
- Gourley, S.M. 2012. Linkages Between Boko Haram and al Qaeda: A Potential Deadly Synergy. Global Security Studies 3 (3): 1–14.Google Scholar
- Ismail, O., and E. Skons. 2014. Security Activities of External Actors in Africa. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lake Chad Basin Desk Review. 2016. WFP Remote Access Secure Services. Desk Review, April 2016. documents.wfp.org/stellent/groups/public/documents/ena/wfp284135.pdf. Accessed on 11 March 2020.
- Maiangwa, J.S., and A.R. Audu. 2017. Civilians in Frontlines: Evolving Grassroots Force for Counterinsurgency Operations in the Lake Chad Basin Region. In Defence Transformation and the Consolidation of Democracy in Nigeria, ed. U.A. Tar, 297–318. Kaduna: Nigerian Defence Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Musa, I.K., M. Bila, B. Mana, and C. Mahaman. 2008 Saving Lake Chad. Proceedings of Sirte roundtable, Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC) and International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), 17 December, Libya. http://afrwg.icidonline.org/save_lakechad.pdf. Accessed on 21 January 2020.
- Nasrullah, F. 2015. The Expanding War in the Lake Chad. http://fulanisitrep.com/2015/11/19/the-expanding-war-in-the-lake-chad. Accessed on 21 August 2019.
- Onuoha, F.C. 2014. A Danger Not to Nigeria Alone: Boko Haram’s Transnational Reach and Regional Responses. http://www.library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/nigeria/. Accessed on 23 December 2019.
- Oputu, D., and K. Lilley. 2015. Boko Haram and Escalating Regional Terror. Retrieved: http://soufangroup.com/tsg-intelbrief-boko-haram-and-escalating-regional-terror. Accessed on 25 December 2019.
- Tar, U.A., and B. Bala. 2018. Boko Haram Insurgency, Terrorism and the Challenges of Peacebuilding in the Lake Chad Basin. In Peacebuilding in Contemporary Africa: In Search of Alternative Strategies, ed. K.C. Omeje, 142–165. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Tar, U.A., and B. Bala. 2019. Terrorism, Insurgency and the Challenges of Counter-Terrorism and Counterinsurgency. In New Architecture for Regional Security in Africa: Perspectives on Counter-Terrorism and Counterinsurgency in the Lake Chad Basin, ed. U.A. Tar and B. Bala, 267–293. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Tar, U.A., and M. Mustapha. 2016. Emerging Architecture of Regional Security Complex in the Lake Chad Basin. Being a Paper Presented at the International Conference on Security Regimens in Africa, organised by CODESERIA, Held at Azalai Grand Hotel, Bamako, Mali, 28–29 September.Google Scholar
- Tar, U.A., and M. Mustapha. 2017. The Emerging Architecture of a Regional Security Complex in the Lake Chad Basin. Africa Development 42 (3): 99–118.Google Scholar
- Théroux-Bénoni, L.A. 2015. The Fight Against Boko Haram Tangled up in Nigerian and Regional Politics. Institute for Security Studies. https://www.issafrica.org/iss-today/the-fight-against-boko-haram-tangled-up-in-nigerian-and-regional-politics. Accessed on 23 September 2019.
- UN News. 2016. UN Security Council Demands Boko Haram End All Violence in Lake Chad Basin. UN News, 13 May 2016. https://news.un.org/en/story/2016/05/529252-security-council-demands-boko-haram-immediately-end-all-violence-lake-chad. Accessed on 23 August 2019.
- Vanguard Newspaper. 2016. Buhari Hosts French President, Hollande, Biya, Others at Abuja Security Summit. Vanguard New Paper, 10 May 2016. http://www.vanguardngr.com. Accessed on 23 November 2019.
- Vanguard Newspaper. 2017. Terrorized UNIMAID Residents: Eight Boko Haram attacks in Six Months and a Professor Dead. 23 July 2017. https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/terrorized-unimaid-residents-eight-boko-haram-attacks-six-months-professor-dead-unprecedented-siege/. Accessed on 20 March 2020.
- Yoroms, G.J. 2008. Counterterrorism Measures in West Africa. In Understanding Terrorism in Africa: Building Bridges and Overcoming the Gaps, ed. O. Wofula and B. Annedi, 90–97. Institute of Security Studies: Pretoria.Google Scholar