Classifying Songs to Relieve Stress Using Machine Learning Algorithms
Music has a great impact on stress relieving for human. We have become very stressed by society and the times. Accumulated stress cannot be met daily, and this will have an adverse effect on our health and our mental health, such as obesity, heart attacks, insomnia, and so on. Therefore, this study has been offering an ensemble approach combining algorithms of machine learning such as K-NN, naïve Bayes, multilayer perceptron, and random forest for stress relief based on musical genres.
KeywordsMusic genre classification Relieving stress songs Machine learning Ensemble approach Classification algorithms
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (No. 2017R1A2B4010826).
- 1.Trappe, H.J.: Music and medicine: the effects of music on the human being. Appl. Cardiopulm. Pathophysiol. 16, 133–142 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.McCallum, A., Nigam, K.: A comparison of event models for naive Bayes text classification. In: AAAI-98 Workshop on Learning for text Categorization, vol. 752, no. 1, pp. 41–48 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Liaw, A., Wiener, M.: Classification and regression by randomForest. R News 2(3), 18–22 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Fu, Z., Lu, G., Ting, K.M., Zhang, D.: Learning naive Bayes classifiers for music classification and retrieval. In: 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. 4589–4592. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Cemgil, A.T., Gürgen, F.: Classification of musical instrument sounds using neural networks. In: Proceedings of SIU’97. (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Jin, X., Bie, R.: Random forest and PCA for self-organizing maps based automatic music genre discrimination. In: DMIN, pp. 414–417 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.University of Nevada, Reno Homepage. https://www.unr.edu/counseling/virtual-relaxation-room/releasing-stress-through-the-power-of-music
- 14.Defferrard, M., Benzi, K., Vandergheynst, P., Bresson, X.: FMA: a dataset for music analysis. arXiv:1612.01840 (2016)
- 15.Dietterich, T.G.: Ensemble methods in machine learning. In: International Workshop on Multiple Classifier Systems, pp. 1–15. Springer, Berlin (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Song, Y., Simon, D., Marcus, P.: Evaluation of musical features for emotion classification. In: ISMIR, pp. 523–528 (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.McCraty, R., Barrios-Choplin, B., Atkinson, M., Tomasino, D.: The effects of different types of music on mood, tension, and mental clarity. Altern. Ther. Health Med. 4, 75–84 (1998)Google Scholar