- 24 Downloads
Adaptive behavior; Affordance; Classical conditioning; Communication; Competition; Ecological psychology; Embodied cognition; Foraging; Habituation; Information processing; Movement; Numerosity; Ocelli; Phenotypic plasticity; Plant behavior; Plant cognition; Plant learning; Plant signaling; Plant vision; Predictive processing; Primary consciousness; Sentience; Swarm intelligence; Tropism
What Is Plant Behavior and Cognition?
A mark of intelligent behavior is the capacity to select actions that allow an organism to achieve its goals. Although there is no universally agreed-upon definition of what behavior is, an operational strategy that applies to both plants and animals is to approach behavior in terms of the “observable consequences of the choices a living entity makes in response to external or internal stimuli” (Cvrčková et al. 2016). Such choices, when performed by animals, usually involve movement. Because plants are sessile, it becomes more difficult to...
- Baluška, F., Mancuso, S., & Volkmann, D. (Eds.). (2006). Communication in plants: Neuronal aspects of plant life. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Böhm, J., Scherzer, S., Krol, E., Kreuzer, I., von Meyer, K., Lorey, C., Mueller, T. D., Shabala, L., Monte, I., Solano, R., Al-Rasheid, K. A., Rennenberg, H., Shabala, S., Neher, E., & Hedrich, R. (2016). The Venus flytrap Dionaea muscipula counts prey-induced action potentials to induce sodium uptake. Current Biology, 26, 286–295.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Reber, A. S. (2018). The first minds: What I learned from conversations with a caterpillar and a few sentient cells. Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Schuergers, N. et al. (2016). Cyanobacteria use micro-optics to sense light direction. eLife 5, e12620.Google Scholar
- Trewavas, A. (2008). Aspects of plant intelligence: Convergence & evolution. In S. C. Morris (Ed.), The deep structure of biology: Is convergence sufficiently ubiquitous to give a directional signal (pp. 68–110). West Conshohocken: Templeton Press.Google Scholar
- Trewavas, A. (2017). The foundations of plant intelligence. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 7, 20160098.Google Scholar
- Volkov, A. G. (Ed.). (2006). Plant electrophysiology. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar